“Mausam” Mobile App | UPSC
Ministry of Earth Sciences launches Mobile App “Mausam” for India Meteorological Department on its Foundation Day Celebrations
WHY IN NEWS:
Users can access observed weather, forecasts, radar images and be proactively warned of impending weather events
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1: 3: Earth Science : Geography : Climate : Weather : Seasonal pattern
For PRELIMS look out for aim , significance , colour coding and
For MAINS how this application can help farmers ? Do you think such applications need advertisement in All India Radio to reach masses ?
MOBILE APP “MAUSAM”
Ministry of Earth Sciences feels proud to launch the mobile App “Mausam” for India Meteorological Department.
DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT
The mobile app has been designed and developed jointly by ICRISAT’s Digital Agriculture & Youth (DAY) team, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune and India Meteorological Department.
5 SERVICES OF MAUSAM MOBILE APP
- CURRENT WEATHER–Current temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction for 200 cities updated 8 times a day.
- NOWCAST– Three hourly warnings of localized weather phenomena and their intensity issued for about 800 stations.Severe weather impacts will also be shown.
- CITY FORECAST – Past 24 hours and 7 day forecast of weather conditions around 450 cities in India.
- WARNINGS– Alerts issued twice a day for all districts for the next five days in colour code (Red, Orange and Yellow) to warn citizens of approaching dangerous weather.
- RADAR PRODUCTS : Latest Station wise radar products updated every 10 minutes.
- This Mobile App is dedicated to the general public .
- App is designed to communicate the weather information and forecasts in a lucid manner without technical jargons.
- This information can proactively warn impending weather events.
- The Mausam mobile app will be an important tool for dissemination of weather information and warnings in an attractive and user friendly manner which will meet the requirements of public.
- This mobile app is available both on Playstore and Appstore.
Earth Science skills”, become “life skills”, and therefore the earth sciences ministry can easily be seen as the “Life Skills Ministry 🙂