‘Legion of Merit’ Award | UPSC
United States confers ‘Legion of Merit’ award on Prime Minister Narendra Modi
WHY IN NEWS:
Recognition for increasing consensus on Indo- US Strategic Partnership, says PM on accepting Legion of Merit Award from US
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : Awards
- The award is in recognition of the Prime Minister’s steadfast leadership and vision for India’s emergence as a global power.
- The award confers an exemplary contribution made by him for the advancement of the India-United States strategic partnership and promoting global peace and prosperity.
- The Legion of Merit, in the highest degree of the Chief Commander, is a prestigious award conferred by the President of the United States.
- The award is given typically upon Heads of State or Heads of Government of other countries.
‘LEGION OF MERIT’ AWARD
SOURCES : WIKI COMMONS
- The Legion Of Merit (LOM) is a military award of the United States Armed Forces.
- The decoration is issued to members of the eight uniformed services of the United States as well as to military and political figures of foreign governments.
- The Legion Of Merit (Commander degree) is one of only two United States military decorations to be issued as a neck order .
- The Legion Of Merit is seventh in the order of precedence of all U.S. military awards .
It is based on the relative rank or position of the recipient as follows:
- CHIEF COMMANDER : This award is given to Head of state or government.
- COMMANDER : Equivalent of a U.S. military chief of staff or higher position, but not to a head of state.
- OFFICER : General or flag officer below the equivalent of a U.S. military chief of staff; colonel or equivalent rank (e.g., Navy or Coast Guard captain).
- LEGIONNAIRE : All recipients not included above.
[wc_highlight color=”yellow” class=””]ALSO READ : INVESTMENT PROMOTION AWARD 2020 [/wc_highlight]
- The performance must have been such as to merit recognition of key individuals for service rendered in a clearly exceptional manner.
- For service not related to actual war, the term “key individual” applies to a narrower range of positions than in time of war and requires evidence of significant achievement.
- In peacetime, service should be in the nature of a special requirement or of an extremely difficult duty performed in an unprecedented and clearly exceptional manner.
- However, justification of the award may accrue by virtue of exceptionally meritorious service in a succession of important positions.
- The award was received on behalf of the Prime Minister by the Ambassador of India to the United States Taranjit Singh Sandhu.
- At the ceremony, The Legion of Merit, Degree Chief Commander, was also awarded to the Prime Minister of Australia Scott Morrison, and former Prime Minister of Japan, Shinzo Abe.
SOURCES: PIB | ‘Legion of Merit’ Award | UPSC