Table of Contents Hide
Kandla becomes first Green SEZ | UPSC
Kandla becomes first Green SEZ
WHY IN NEWS:
- Achieves CII’s IGBC ( Indian Green Building Council) Green Cities Platinum Rating
- IGBC Green Platinum rating awarded to Kandla SEZ
- Government of India working towards ensuring environmentally sustainable development
KANDLA BECOMES FIRST GREEN SEZ
- Kandla SEZ (KASEZ) was awarded IGBC Platinum Rating today.
- KASEZ is the First Green SEZ to achieve the IGBC Green Cities Platinum Rating for Existing Cities.
- The efforts of KASEZ team were applauded especially noting the fact that this was accomplished in Bhuj region where water conservation and afforestation are critical interventions.
IGBC GREEN SEZS
- The IGBC Green SEZ Rating System (Pilot version) is an extension of the Green SEZ guidelines.
- The rating system encourages the projects to surpass the requirements of many codes and standards.
- The rating programme is a tool which enables the designer to apply green concepts and criteria, so as to reduce the environmental impacts, which are measurable.
- The programme covers methodologies to cover diverse climatic zones and changing lifestyles.
- IGBC Green SEZ Rating System is a voluntary and consensus based programme.
- The rating system has been developed based on materials and technologies that are presently available.
- The rating system evaluates certain credit points using a prescriptive approach and other credits on a performance based approach.
- The rating system is evolved so as to be comprehensive and at the same time user-friendly.
- The rating programme uses well accepted national standards and wherever local or national standards are not available, appropriate international benchmarks have been considered.
- Reduction in energy use and connected load leading to savings in infrastructure investments
- Reduction in potable water savings and public investments related to waste water treatment
- Organised handling of waste and waste management
- Incubation of green building materials manufacturers, thereby leading to lower cost of creating green SEZ’s.
BENEFITS AT LOCAL LEVEL
- Encourage local economy
- Better quality of life for the occupants of SEZ’s
- Optimum utilization of resources-Energy, Water
- Reduced operational cost for the occupants
- The guidelines detailed under each mandatory requirement & credit enables the design and construction of green SEZ of all sizes and types.
IGBC Green SEZ addresses green features under the following categories:
- Site Preservation & Restoration
- Site Planning & Design
- Water Efficiency
- Energy Efficiency
- Materials & Resources
- Innovation & Design Process
WHEN TO USE IGBC GREEN SEZS
- The project can apply for IGBC Green SEZ certification if it can meet all mandatory requirements and achieve the minimum required points.
- Different levels of green building certification are awarded based on the total credits earned.
- However, every Green SEZ should meet certain mandatory requirements, which are non-negotiable.
The threshold criteria for certification/pre-certification levels are as under:
- This was major achievement and is part of activities envisaged under the commitment of the Government to the Green SEZs Mission as part of celebrations marking India@75 – Azadi ka Amrut Mahotsav.
- The recognition is set to pave way for all the other SEZs in the country to emulate the green initiative and efforts of Kandla SEZ.