International Human Rights Day 2020 | UPSC
Human Rights Day
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 2 : 3 : UN Observances
For PRELIMS go through aim , theme and significance of this event.
For MAINS can you define human rights ? What is the relation between human rights and sustainable development goals ?
INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS DAY 2020
- Human Rights Day is observed every year on 10 December.
- The UDHR is a milestone document that proclaims the inalienable rights which everyone is entitled to as a human being.
- Available in more than 500 languages, it is the most translated document in the world.
- This day is observed to promote equality, peace, justice, freedom and the protection of human dignity.
- The atrocities of the Second World War made the importance of human rights an ‘international priority‘.
SOURCES : UNHR
- This year’s Human Rights Day theme relates to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 10 December is an opportunity to reaffirm the importance of human rights in re-building the world we want.
- The celebration signifies the need for global solidarity as well as our interconnectedness and shared humanity.
We will reach our common global goals only if :
- We are able to create equal opportunities for all
- We address the failures exposed and exploited by COVID-19
- We address the societal exclusion and discrimination.
HUMAN RIGHTS AND THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
- Human rights are at the heart of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- As in the absence of human dignity we cannot hope to drive sustainable development.
Human Rights are driven by progress on all SDGs, and the SDGs are driven by advancements on human rights.
HUMAN RIGHTS AND COVID-19
- The COVID-19 crisis has been fuelled by deepening poverty, rising inequalities, structural and entrenched discrimination.
MUST NEEDED ACTIONS
- END DISCRIMINATION OF ANY KIND : Structural discrimination and racism have fuelled the COVID-19 crisis.
- ADDRESS INEQUALITIES : To recover from the crisis, we must also address the inequality pandemic.
- ENCOURAGE PARTICIPATION AND SOLIDARITY : We need to ensure the voices of the most affected and vulnerable inform the recovery efforts.
- PROMOTE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT : Human rights, the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement are the cornerstone of a recovery that leaves no one behind.
CELEBRATIONS IN INDIA
- Ministry of Communications ; India Post, Maharashtra Circle released a special cover on ‘human rights‘.
- This initiative is to create public awareness and also ensure equality, cooperation, peace and universal respect among people.
- Under UN Human Rights’ generic call to action- “Stand Up for Human rights” .
- The slogan was to engage the general public, to bolster transformative action and showcase practical and inspirational examples.
Where, after all, do universal human rights begin?
- In small places, close to home — so close and so small that they cannot be seen on any maps of the world.
- Unless these rights have meaning there, they have little meaning anywhere.
SOURCES: PIB | International Human Rights Day 2020 | UPSC