International Day of Biodiversity
India will share its best practices and experiences in conserving biodiversity with the rest of the world: Union Environment Minister
WHY IN NEWS:
Five initiatives launched on International Day of Biodiversity
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:UN
For PRELIMS go through the theme and its essence relevant to this year celebration . We have collected all the information regarding International Biodiversity Day . Let us dive in !
For MAINS do you think we are just changing the goal post with respect to conservation of Biodiversity ?
SUPER YEAR FOR BIODIVERSITY
- The year 2020 which is also the “SUPER YEAR FOR BIODIVERSITY”, as the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity with 20 global Aichi targets adopted in 2010 ends in 2020 and all the countries together are in the process of preparation of Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework.
WHAT IS BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY ?
Biological diversity is often understood in terms of the wide variety of plants, animals and microorganisms, but it also includes genetic differences within each species — for example, between varieties of crops and breeds of livestock — and the variety of ecosystems (lakes, forest, deserts, agricultural landscapes) that host multiple kind of interactions among their members (humans, plants, animals).
NEED FOR CONSERVATION ?
- Biological diversity resources are the pillars upon which we build civilizations.
- Fish provide 20 per cent of animal protein to about 3 billion people.
- Over 80 per cent of the human diet is provided by plants.
- As many as 80 per cent of people living in rural areas in developing countries rely on traditional plant‐based medicines for basic healthcare.
BIODIVERSITY LOSS :
- But loss of biodiversity threatens all, including our health.
- It has been proven that biodiversity loss could expand zoonoses – diseases transmitted from animals to humans– while, on the other hand, if we keep biodiversity intact, it offers excellent tools to fight against pandemics like those caused by coronaviruses.
INTERNATIONAL DAY OF BIODIVERSITY 2020 CELEBRATIONS :
- It is expected, from each of us, that we will “Build Back Better” by using this time to increase the resilience of nations and communities as we recover from this pandemic.
- 2020 is the year when, more than ever, the world can signal a strong will for a global framework that will “bend the curve” on biodiversity loss for the benefit of humans and all life on Earth.
- 2020 will witness the final period of the 2011-2020 Strategic Plan on Biodiversity and its 20 Aichi Biodiversity Targets.
TO A NEW START :
UN Decade on Biodiversity, leading to the transitional phase for the start of other new pivotal biodiversity-related decades for the period 2021-2030: the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development and the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration; and the UN Biodiversity Summit, in order to highlight the urgency of action at the highest levels in support of a post-2020 global biodiversity framework.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB/DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS for UPSC CSE Prelims & Mains
DISCOVER MORE : Important Articles on United Nations