INS AIRAVAT | UPSC
OPERATION SAMUDRA SETU – INS AIRAVAT BRINGS BACK 198 INDIAN CITIZENS FROM MALDIVES
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Defence
For PRELIMS go through class , features and keep an eye on recent missions ! Let us dive in !
INS Airavat is the third Shardul-class amphibious warfare vessel of the Indian Navy.
She began sea trials in July 2008 after completing basin trials in May.
COMMISSIONED ON :
She was commissioned at the Eastern Naval Command in Visakhapatnam on 19 May 2009.
BUILT BY :
- INS Airavat was built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers in Kolkata at Yard 3016.
- Primary suppliers for her equipment are Bharat Electronics Limited, Kirloskar, Larsen & Toubro, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, Keltron and the Godrej Group.
DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT :
Safety features include :
- Anti-roll flume stabilisation system,
- Smoke curtains to impede spreading of smoke and toxic gases in case of fire.
- Battle damage control systems.
INS Airavat primarily designed for:
- Amphibious assault operations
- Humanitarian assistance & disaster relief (HADR) during natural disasters
- Stern refuelling for other naval vessels.
- On 11 July 2011, INS Airavat made a goodwill visit to Sihanoukville, Cambodia.
- Between 19 and 28 July 2011, she made courtesy calls at Nha Trang and Hai Phong in Vietnam.
- On 1 May 2016, INS Airavat arrived at Brunei to participate in the ADMM Plus (ASEAN Defence Ministers Meeting Plus) Exercise on Maritime Security and Counter Terrorism.
With this evacuation, the Indian Navy has repatriated 3305 Indian nationals from Maldives, Sri Lanka and Iran during the ongoing pandemic.
SOURCES: PIB | INS AIRAVAT | UPSC