Innovation Portal by National Innovation Foundation (NIF) | UPSC
Dr. Harsh Vardhan dedicates an Innovation Portal developed by National Innovation Foundation (NIF) – India to the nation
WHY IN NEWS:
“Best Economy is the Idea Economy and Innovation co-efficient is the most important for the progress of a country”: Dr. Harsh Vardhan
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3 : Portal : Start up India
- Innovation Portal is a step towards Atmanirbhar Bharat.
- It is an excellent resource for students, entrepreneurs, MSME’s, Technology Business Incubators (TBI’s) and common people engaged in a variety of occupations.
In terms of domain areas, presently the innovations cover :
- The portal emphasises Traditional Knowledge, particularly herbal practices which stem from tribal areas, and is one of the key highlights of the Innovation Portal.
- Innovation Portal will help institutionalise new ideas by common people towards finding solutions to local problems.
- Best Economy is the Idea Economy and Innovative co-efficient is the most important for the progress of the country” that will drive the progress of the nation.
- A Stand-up Start-up system in the country should be encouraged to develop his or her ideas, irrespective of their background whether rural, tribal or anyone with formal science background.
- The Innovation Portal in coming days could be one of the significant contributions amongst all of our digital progress so far.
- It would act as a bridge between people who are looking for Innovative solutions and those who had been at the helm of their evolution.
- The Innovation Portal will help create local entrepreneurs out of grassroots ideas and will help bring ideas to the market.
- NIF observed that innovation portal is a saga of determination of every Indian who believed in evolving his or her own solutions to fit the needs.
NATIONAL INNOVATION FOUNDATION (NIF)
- It is India’s national initiative to strengthen the grassroots technological innovations and outstanding traditional knowledge.
- NIF scouts, supports and spawns’ grassroots innovations developed by individuals and local communities in any technological field, helping in human survival without any help from formal sector.
- It also tries to ensure that such innovations diffuse widely through commercial and/or non-commercial channels, generating material or non-material incentives for them and others involved in the value chain.
- NIF has also set up an augmented Fabrication Laboratory (Fab Lab) for product development and strengthening in-house research.
- NIF has also filed applications for 74 plant varieties developed by farmers at the Protection of Plant Varieties & Farmers’ Rights Authority. Of these, 13 have successfully been registered.
- NIF has received over 1500 product inquiries from 110 countries for various technologies.
- It has also succeeded in commercialising products across countries in six continents, apart from being successful in materialising 109 cases of technology licensing.
- The grassroots to global (G2G) model that NIF is propagating is all set to change the way the world looks at creativity and innovations at/from grassroots.
INSPIRE AWARD- MANAK
- The INSPIRE Award – MANAK (Million Minds Augmenting National Aspiration and Knowledge) is being revamped and executed by Department of Science & Technology and National Innovation Foundation-India.
- The scheme aims to help build a critical human resource pool for strengthening, expand science and technology system and increase the research & development base.
- Innovation Portal is an excellent resource for students, entrepreneurs, MSME’s, Technology Business Incubators (TBI’s) and common people engaged in a variety of occupations.
- DST mentioned that this innovation portal is being on-boarded at a very appropriate time within the innovation eco-system of our nation, by way of coinciding with evolution of 5th National STI Policy of India.
SOURCES: PIB | Innovation Portal by National Innovation Foundation (NIF) | UPSC