Infrastructure Management System (IMS) : Indian Army | UPSC
Indian Army launches a Software for Infrastructure Management
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Defence : Science and Technology
For PRELIMS it is important to understand the scope and implication of this technological intervention by Indian Army .
For MAINS keep an eye on all integration and automation processes . You can easily embed these in answers relevant to infrastructure .
INFRASTRUCTURE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (IMS)
- Presently all functions towards infrastructure development and management are carried out manually.
- This process is not only time consuming but is also in-efficient.
- The process is cumbersome and time consuming involving multiple agencies.
- Land has also become a very scarce resource since all cantonments and military stations have now come closer to major population centres.
- Realising that automation is the key to empowering all stake holders to transform and become efficient.
- The new software -“Infrastructure Management System (IMS)’ software which was inagurated by the COAS on the sidelines of the Army Commanders Conference
- To automate works initiation, preparation of list and its approval by the MoD.
- To accord administrative approval and monitoring of execution by the CFA.
- To automate approval of accommodation allocation/extention for children education ground, special children and Battle/Physical casualty.
- Manage cantonment roads including emergency closure.
- Make land, works and quartering policies available online.
- Monitor land encroachment, Old Grant Bungalows, VIP references and transfer/exchange of land.
INFRASTRUCTURE MANAGEMENT SEEKS TO
- Reduce duplication of effort
- Ensure adherence to standards
- Promote adaptability necessary for a changeable environment
- Ensure interoperability among organizational and external entities
- Maintain effective change management policies and practices.
SOLUTIONS PROVIDED BY IMS
- Scalability and upgrade of solutions
- Integration of all areas of the organization applying operational intelligence solutions
- Simple and easy-to-use interfaces that provide the geographic location, maps, and related asset information
- Flexibility to connect, access and manage asset data.
- Analytical capacity and the power to convert data into actionable resources that can provide high-value information for decision-making and anticipation of risks
- Mobile platforms, business mobility, and field service management (Field Service Management).
SOURCES: PIB | Infrastructure Management System (IMS) : Indian Army | UPSC