India’s First RRTS Train Unveiled | UPSC
First Look of India’s First RRTS Train Unveiled
WHY IN NEWS:
- Entire Rolling Stock to be Manufactured at a Gujarat Plant
- Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS Corridor – Prioritised Corridor
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Transport
For PRELIMS go through the train specification . Though it has a less priority but you have to consume this . RRTS will be in news for a while now .
REGIONAL RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEM (RRTS)
- RRTS is a new, dedicated, high speed, high capacity, comfortable commuter service connecting regional nodes in NCR.
- RRTS is different from conventional Railway .
- RRTS is different from metro as it caters to passengers looking to travel relatively longer distance with fewer stops and at higher speed.
- The Task Force identified 8 corridors and prioritised three corridors namely Delhi-Meerut, Delhi-Panipat and Delhi- Alwar for implementation.
- The corridor will bring down the travel time between Delhi to Meerut by around 1/3rd.
- The commute time from Delhi to Meerut will be reduced to less than an hour from 3-4 hours by road at present.
- It is a matter of great pride that these high-speed commuter trains for RRTS are entirely being manufactured under ‘Make in India’ policy.