IASbhai Daily Editorial Hunt | 24th Oct 2020
We don’t develop courage by being happy every day. We develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity.– Barbara De Angelis
EDITORIAL HUNT #206 :“India-Saudi Arabia in G20 Presidency | UPSC”
Saud Bin Mohammed Al Sati
India-Saudi Arabia G20 Presidency | UPSC
Ambassador of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to India
G20, under Saudi Arabia’s presidency, is working towards a more resilient world
With Saudi Arabia’s G20 presidency, we are at the cusp of another transformation in our strategic cooperation, one that will reap benefits for the global community.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 2 : IR
The next G20 Presidency will be hosted by India. Saudi Arabia has successfully used this platform to eradicate poverty and pandemic . Discuss -(GS 2 )
- Cultural Ties
- Co-ordination and Synergy in G 20
- Towards Prosperity
- CULTURAL TIES : Our two nations have shared trade and cultural links dating back to the third millennium BCE.
- MUTUAL EXCHANGES : These historic bonds were further reinforced during HRH Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s first state visit to New Delhi in February 2019.
- MIDDLE EAST POLICY : The visit paved the way for unparalleled decisions, heralding a new dawn for the ties between our two formidable economies.
- STRATEGIC CO-OPERATION : With Saudi Arabia’s G20 presidency, we are at the cusp of another transformation in our strategic cooperation, one that will reap benefits for the global community.
CO-ORDINATION AND SYNERGY
- COOPERATION AND CO ORDINATION : Mutual respect and continued international cooperation are values at the heart of the Saudi G20 presidency.
- ADDRESSING GLOBAL ISSUES : A presidency that has coincided with a delicate global period and that is determined to lead global actions to address the common global challenges.
- COLLECTIVE STAND : As major global economies, the G20 member countries have a responsibility to lead collective action for a coordinated global response to the ongoing crisis.
- TRANSFORMATIVE VISION 2030 : Saudi Arabia’s presidency is up to this task. Having proved its mettle in dealing with social and economic hurdles back home through its transformative Vision 2030.
- FORETHOUGHTFUL : The Kingdom now has an opportunity to replicate this forward-looking approach on a global scale.
- EASE OF DOING BUSINESS : It is also the most improved country in the world for doing business, having implemented a record number of reforms.
- ALL INCLUSIVE PROSPERITY : It is with this intent of all-inclusive prosperity that the Saudi G20 Presidency is seeking to deepen global cooperation with the theme of “Realising Opportunities of the 21st Century for All”.
The Presidency is working with G20 members on three essential pillars which are vital to the world’s progress:
- Empowering people with a focus on youth and women
- Tackling inequalities
- Safeguarding the planet by fostering collective efforts to protect our natural resources and putting sustainability at the heart of the agenda.
PRESIDENCY AND G 20
- RESILIENT FUTURE : Shaping new frontiers by adopting long-term and bold strategies to share the benefits of innovation and technological advancement to build a resilient future for the world.
- MISSION : The Saudi G20 Presidency believes that everyone, especially women, should have the required access and tools to take advantages of the opportunities ahead of us.
- EMPOWER FORUM : The Private Sector Alliance for the Empowerment and Progression of Women’s Economic Representation (EMPOWER), a forum constituted by G20.
- SHAPING NEW FRONTIERS : The use of innovation and technological advancements to shape new frontiers, such as deploying artificial intelligence to improve health outcomes and the education system.
- PANDEMIC AND SAUDI ARABIA : Under Saudi Arabia’s presidency, G20 has been resilient and spearheaded global action needed to deal with the pandemic.
- THE G20 LEADERS’ SUMMIT : It was held in March ; developing a consensus among G20 countries to contain the spread of the pandemic and laid a foundation to the subsequent G20 ministerial meetings.
- LANDMARK DELIBERATIONS : A landmark outcome of these deliberations was the G20 finance ministers and central bank governors agreeing to the historic Debt Suspension Service Initiative for the world’s poorest countries.
- DEVELOPING BANKS : The G20 is also working with international organisations to complement these efforts, including multilateral development banks.
- TOTAL FUNDS RAISED : G20 countries have contributed over $21 billion to support health systems and the hunt for a vaccine and injected an unprecedented $11 trillion to safeguard the global economy.
- INDIA AS A GLOBAL PARTNER : Arabs see India as an important partner in this journey to ensure a better tomorrow for all. India is carrying out ambitious reforms to modernise the country.
- TOWARDS PROSPERITY : As leading economies, Saudi Arabia and India can leave a mark on the global community through synergies and contribute to the roadmap for a prosperous future for all.
- SHARED VISION : Many more battles and uncharted paths lie in front of us . India-Saudi Arabia share the same sense of responsibility towards the global community.
As India prepares to hold the Presidency in 2022, we are certain that this mutual counsel will help us realise opportunities of the 21st century for all.
SOURCES: THE IE | India-Saudi Arabia in G20 Presidency | UPSC