India Report on Digital Education 2020 | UPSC
Union Minister for HRD Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ launches India Report- Digital Education June 2020
WHY IN NEWS:
Union Minister for HRD Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ today virtually launched India Report on Digital Education, 2020.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:HUMAN RESOURCE : EDUCATION : REPORT
For PRELIMS do not worry about state wise initiatives . But yes ! Remember your state initiative . That can be asked in interview .
For MAINS this article has sufficient online learning initiatives to support your gigantic answers . Let us dive in !
INDIA REPORT- DIGITAL EDUCATION 2020
India Report- Digital Education June 2020
Ministry of Human Resource Development
- The report elaborates on the innovative methods adopted by Ministry of HRD.
- This report brings a better understanding of the various initiatives taken to facilitate remote learning and education for all by taking schools to the students.
- Ministry has initiated many projects to assist teachers, scholars and students in their pursuit of learning.
- State/ UT Governments have also managed the critical task of providing digital education at the door step of the students.
- Some of the major medium to connect were tools like WhatsApp Group for all the classes, Online classes through YouTube channel, Google meet, Skype etc
STATE WISE EFFORTS
- Some of the major digital initiatives by State Governments are SMILE (Social Media Interface for Learning Engagement) in RAJASTHAN.
- Project Home Classes in JAMMU.
- Padhai Tunhar duvaar (Education at your doorstep) in CHHATTISGARH.
- Unnayan Initiatives in BIHAR through portal and mobile application.
- Mission Buniyaad in NCT of DELHI.
- KERALA’s own educational TV channel (Hi-Tech school programme).
- E-scholar portal as well as free online courses for teachers in MEGHALAYA.
- TELANGANA has online certificate programs for teachers on ‘Management of mental well-being during COVID’.
- UTTARAKHAND is making use of Sampark Baithak App through which primary school students can access animated videos, audios, worksheet, puzzles, etc.
- ASSAM has launched the Biswa Vidya Assam Mobile Application for class 6 to 10.
- BIHAR has launched Vidyavahini App with e-books for class 1 to 12.
- CHANDIGARH has launched Phoenix Mobile application to assess the learning outcome for the students of class 1 to 8.
- MAHARASHTRA has launched the Learning Outcomes Smart Q Mobile App to facilitate learning for students in the state.
- PUNJAB has launched iScuela Learn Mobile Application for class 1 to 10.
- Sikkim Edutech App connects all the schools of SIKKIM under the State Education Department, Parents also have login access along with students, teachers and administrative units.
- TRIPURA has an application titled ‘EmpowerU Shiksha Darpan’ in order to facilitate student’s appraisal.
- UTTAR PRADESH launches ‘Top Parent’ app targeting children from 3-8years age.
- ODISHA Shiksha Sanjog – a Whatsapp based digital learning programme has been launched in Odisha .
- Education through Whatsapp is also being dispensed in PUNJAB, PUDUCHERRY.
- Mission Prerna ki e-Pathshala is a Teacher to student whatsapp group in UTTAR PRADESH.
- In ARUNACHAL PRADESH, primary class students are receiving interesting Radio talks in their mother tongue through All India Radio, Itanagar.
- The districts of JHARKHAND have localized actual teachers addressing children through regional Doordarshan and available radio slots.
- Similar is PUDUCHERRY’s initiative telecasting the classes through virtual control rooms on local TV channels.
- MANIPUR has started comic books for students of class 3-5 to help them learn concepts in a fun way.
- LADAKH is collaborating with NGOs like EMBIBE Bangalore and 17000 feet in providing online education to students even in low connectivity zones.
- Popular features like quiz competitions are held by the state of HARYANA.
- ANDHRA PRADESH has started Toll Free Call Centre and Toll Free Video call centre for students for understanding critical topics and clearing their doubts.
- CHHATTISGARH has started Motor iskool.
- The state has also started a toll free number as VFS (Virtual Field Support).
- JHARKHAND has started the Roving teacher where many teachers keep moving to teach children.
- GUJARAT started a Reading Campaign for Oral Reading Fluency- Vanchan Abhiyan .
- WEST BENGAL has also started an exclusive and dedicated toll-free helpline number to enable students to call and clarify doubts.
- Some of the states that have taken this initiative to reach students are ODISHA, MADHYA PRADESH (under Dakshata Unnayan Programme).
- LAKSHADWEEP has distributed tablets equipped with e-contents to students.
- NAGALAND has distributed study material through DVD/Pen drive to students at nominal cost.
- JAMMU & KASHMIR has distributed free tabs to students, along with laptops & Braille tactile readers for visually impaired learners.
- GOA has partnered with Embibe, an Artificial Intelligence (AI)-powered online platform for learning, practicing, and testing, for students preparing for entrance exams in the State.
- KARNATAKA has launched Pariksha Vani, an exam preparation program through Doordarshan, and an SSLC Exam Readiness Program.
- Online Practice tests with detailed analysis are available for Government and Government Aided Students of TAMIL NADU preparing for NEET exam.
- DELHI for higher classes, amid lockdown mental well-being of children has also taken care of through happiness classes channelized through SMS/IVR for primary grade children.
State’s education departments together are determined and committed to curb the learning crisis remotely.
- To grapple with the challenges of providing remote learning, NIOS & Swayam Prabha contents are disseminated focusing on children who are not connected to the internet and have limited access to radio & TV.
- The initiatives from states to make available the content through innovative mediums are ensuring inclusion.