India PV EDGE 2020 | UPSC
Top Policymakers to speak on “India PV EDGE 2020” on Solar Manufacturing
WHY IN NEWS:
The global symposium to also include ‘Investors Conclave’ on PV Manufacturing.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: ENERGY
For PRELIMS note down the aim and the significance of this initiative .
For MAINS mention few cutting edge solutions in PV technologies . This can surely pay off while giving examples, when it comes to addressing questions relevant to Renewable energy.
INDIA PV EDGE 2020
- It will also include a ‘Investors Conclave’ on PV Manufacturing.
- Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh states will participate in the conclave.
- Efforts are underway to make India a global hub for solar PV manufacturing.
- The companies would also have the opportunity to hear from Indian policymakers who are involved in drawing up manufacturing schemes.
Cutting-edge giga-scale solar manufacturing stands on three pillars:
(i) disruptive PV chemistries
(ii) manufacturing by custom-engineered advanced production equipment
(iii) utilisation of innovative BOM components like special glasses and coatings.
- That is why companies involved in all the three pillars are invited to present and engage the Indian industry in the symposium.
- This will catalyse the momentum for further discussions and collaborations.
- India PV EDGE 2020 is one small step towards that ambition.
KEY FOCUS AREAS
- ‘Investors Roundtable’, will discuss and deliberate upon issues related to India’s solar manufacturing sector .
- The Covid-19 pandemic has created an enormous impact on the global economy.
- After the 2008–09 financial crisis, green measures accounted for 16% of the total stimulus measures.
- Significant giga-factory announcements are being made by local and global firms.
- The Indian government is also coming up with innovative initiatives to promote cutting-edge solar manufacturing in India.
- Solar deployment has been the flagship green growth story of the last decade.
- This would be instrumental to stimulate growth and build a climate-resilient world.
- India has become the third-largest solar capacity country in the world .
- The major factor behind the rise of solar deployment is giga-scale solar manufacturing and the continuous adoption of innovations to reduce prices.
- Hence, solar PV manufacturing is one of the strategic sectors announced by the Indian government as part of the post-Covid Aatmanirbhar Bharat recovery initiative.
- To recover from the covid-inflicted impact and to battle the impending threat of global warming, governments must be even more ambitious and decisive towards clean investments.
- International cooperation and leveraging strengths are crucial in these times.
SOURCES: PIB | India PV EDGE 2020 | UPSC