Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle | UPSC
DRDO successfully flight tests Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle
WHY IN NEWS:
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully demonstrated the hypersonic air-breathing scramjet technology .
- The flight test of Hypersonic Technology Demonstration Vehicle (HSTDV) at 1103 hours from Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Launch Complex at Wheeler Island, off the coast of Odisha today.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Defence : DRDO
For PRELIMS go through the features and significance of this launch . Note down the successfully tested technologies.
For MAINS add this event in your Mains book . This is a major breakthrough . We have attained self-reliance in hypersonic vehicles.
HYPERSONIC TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATOR VEHICLE
- Hypersonic cruise vehicle test puts India in elite club .
- DRDO says it will help develop hypersonic cruise missiles.
WHAT ARE HYPERSONIC VEHICLES
- Hypersonic vehicles fly faster than five times the speed of sound .
- This can enable faster access to space, rapid military response at long range, and even commercial air travel.
- Traditionally, rocket boosters have been used for hypersonic vehicles.
- A hypersonic vehicle can be an airplane, missile, or spacecraft.
- Sometimes, a hypersonic plane uses a rocket engine.
- A Re-entry Vehicle is another type of Hypersonic Vehicle.
HYPERSONIC TECHNOLOGY DEMONSTRATION VEHICLE (HSTDV)
- The hypersonic cruise vehicle was launched using a proven solid rocket motor.
- The cruise vehicle separated from the launch vehicle and the air intake opened as planned.
- The hypersonic combustion sustained and the cruise vehicle continued on its desired flight path at a velocity of six times the speed of sound i.e., nearly 02 km/second for more than 20 seconds.
- The critical events like fuel injection and auto ignition of scramjet demonstrated technological maturity.
- The scramjet engine performed in a text book manner.
- The parameters of launch and cruise vehicle, including scramjet engine was monitored by multiple tracking radars, electro-optical systems and Telemetry Stations.
- A Ship was also deployed in the Bay of Bengal to monitor the performance during the cruise phase of hypersonic vehicle.
- All the performance parameters have indicated a resounding success of the mission.
HSTDV PROVED THE FOLLOWING CRITICAL TECHNOLOGIES
- Aerodynamic configuration for hypersonic manoeuvers
- Use of scramjet propulsion for ignition
- Thermo-structural characterisation of high temperature materials
- Separation mechanism at hypersonic velocities.
- With this technology, cruise missiles could now travel at hypersonic speeds.
- Scramjet engine is a major breakthrough.
- The vehicle reaches a certain altitude, then cruises and also reaches very high temperatures, up to 1,000°-2,000° Celsius, during re-entry.
- After the Anti-Satellite Test, this is the biggest achievement recently.
- The scramjet engine performed in a textbook manner.
- It worked at high dynamic pressure and at very high temperature.
STRENGTHENING DEFENCE CAPABILITIES
- Secretary Department of Defence R&D and Chairman DRDO Dr G Satheesh Reddy congratulated all the Scientists and Researchers .
- HSTDV mission is an example of resolute and unwavering efforts towards strengthening Nation’s defence capabilities.