IASbhai Daily Editorial Hunt | How To Battle Depression | UPSC| 25th June 2020
“What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise.” –Oscar Wilde
EDITORIAL HUNT 91 :“How to battle depression“
Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ is Human Resource Development Minister, Government of India
How to battle depression
Finding meaning in life through love and work and being socially connected are important
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 4: Ethical Issue : Stress Management : Individual Personality and Value : How To Battle Depression | UPSC
Finding the real purpose of life has been a difficult task for the aspiring generation . Depression is a client of miscommunication .Substantiate -(GS 4)
- How to handle depression ?
- Possible ways of life .
- Stress management .
- Bright star in Bollywood ended his life owing to depression.
- He was also a budding entrepreneur. It is sad that a prodigious actor and an exceptional citizen is no longer with us.
- One tends to feel like a stranger to one’s self.
- COVID-19 has acted as a catalyst inducing angst in the life of individuals who are already stressed because of various factors and modern lifestyles.
STRESS IN MODERN LIFE
MANY FACTORS AFFECT STRESS MANAGEMENT :
- More engagement with technology and less with people.
- More focus on “success” (the ends) rather than the process of learning (the means).
- Never-ending aspirations.
- Relationship issues.
- Impatience while doing tasks.
- Looking for instant gratification.
- Too many choices and the limitations of the human mind to choose wisely.
SOCIO CULTURAL STRESS :
- Bridging of gender inequalities.
- Increase in employment of women.
- Growth and development of urban and peri-urban areas.
- Interference of the media and social media in every aspect of life,
- Disruption in the traditional joint family system.
- UNEMPLOYED STRESS : Some of this stress, if not handled well, can push human beings into depression.
- DISCOVERY OF LIFE :Individuals who are able to discover meaning tend to achieve the will and strength to endure life.
UNDERSTANDING MEANING OF LIFE :
- Meaning can be found in love and work.
- Love for fellow beings is what motivates a person to work or take action.
- If we can base our actions and work on a shared love for family members and society at large, we can find effective meaning in life.
PRESCRIPTIONS FOR DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY
- Tagore believed that being socially connected was an antidote to the mental estrangement that plague-affected people were undergoing in 1918.
- He organised many events in the Ashram which ensured that social connections existed despite physical distance.
- Rig Vedic dicta, Yatra Visvam Bhavati Ekanidam (where the whole world meets in a single nest) and Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam (the world is one family).
CONNECTING WITH OTHERS
- Besides finding meaning in life, social connect is very important.
- COMMUNICATION : Positive and continuous communication is the key to end the misery of anxiety, depression and stress to achieve higher levels of well-being.
- IMMEDIATE NEIGHBOURHOOD : Family, relatives and friends have to watch out for signs in their near and dear ones of persistent sadness, aloofness, loss of interest in activities and appetite, negative thoughts including about self-harm, and provide immediate support and connect.
- DESTIGMATISE : We must not stigmatise the condition of mental health issues; it can happen to anyone.
- SUPPORT : Lending support to our family and friends to tide over the difficult times with love and care is always great !
IN DOING SO, WE WILL FIND MEANING IN OUR OWN LIVES.
- Individuals should work for society and for themselves so that they are part of communities.
- This spirit of harmony between individual and society glued by communication is the best way we can overcome stress, anxiety and depression.