India exits Lockdown | UPSC
COVID-19: 11 big questions as India exits lockdown
WHY IN NEWS:
How did the country use the time off to prepare for the road that lies ahead
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Health:Diseases:India exits lockdown
For MAINS these are several questions over which ambiguity prevail in masses . Let us dive in to find answers !
1. IS THERE COMMUNITY TRANSMISSION OF COVID-19 IN INDIA?
- India is the only country that claims there are a ‘cluster of cases’.
- Experts opinion from government — ” community transmission in the country existed“.
- A report on this is expected to be released by the end of this week.
2. WHAT IS SERO-SURVEILLANCE STUDY ?
- It is an important component of disease surveillance.
- It also complements notification, hospitalisation, mortality and immunisation coverage data.
- The sero-surveillance study in India was supposed to begin early April.
3. WHAT IS THE FULL EXTENT OF THE GOVT’S MODELLING STUDIES?
- The Centre last month presented three modelling studies to claim it averted several more cases and thousands of deaths by imposing the lockdown.
- The full-length studies with their methodologies have not been released to the public.
- There is, thus, no data available to dissect claims made by the Centre.
4. WHEN WILL INDIA’S CASE COUNT PEAK?
- It has not yet officially said when the number of cases in the country will reach a peak.
- Scientists of the ICMR said the country was “still far away from the peak”.
5. WHAT HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE HEALTH INFRASTRUCTURE?
- Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, said there were 2.81 lakh beds dedicated for COVID-19 patients, 1.1 lakh oxygen masks and 31,250 ICU beds.
- The ministry never released a state-wise breakup of these numbers.
- Releasing such figures can be a step towards transparency .
- Contrastingly US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): For every state, the page displays a breakup of the number of ICU and isolation beds available and the number occupied, in each state.
6. HOW EQUIPPED ARE THE HEALTHCARE WORKERS?
- Several reports have emerged on healthcare workers (HCWs) being infected by the virus.
- This included security guards posted at the institute as well.
- The Centre has maintained a limiting response, saying only a ‘miniscule’ were reportedly infected.
7. WHAT IS INDIA’S R0 NUMBER?
- According to his last estimates, the number stood at 1.22 between May 29 and June 4.
- For any disease outbreak to ebb, this number should be less than one.
8. WHAT ABOUT OTHER PATIENTS?
- There has been no assessment on repurposing beds in hospitals and shutting down OPDs for patients other than that of COVID-19.
9. HOW BADLY HAS VACCINATION BEEN HIT?
- India’s vaccination drive hit to a grinding halt during the early phases of lockdown.
- As many as 80 million children may have been hit globally due to disruptions in routine immunisation programmes- Unicef.
10. HOW MUCH WILL REVERSE MIGRATION HURT?
- The Centre has left this for the states to deal with.
- It is also not known how states plan to provide migrants employment .
- On the one hand and stop the infection from spreading on the other.
11. PLAN WHEN INDIA EXITS LOCKDOWN?
- The curve of cases has been steadily on the rise, as the country plans to ‘unlock’.
- In a couple of days from now, at least 10,000 new cases are expected to be reported every day.
- Any change in strategy could include ramping up testing, changing treatment guidelines or a reconsideration of ‘unlocking’ the country if healthcare systems become overwhelmed.
If the situation were to worsen tomorrow — the signs of which are clear — how it will deal with this is something that remains unknown.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB/DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS for UPSC CSE Prelims & Mains
DISCOVER MORE : Important Articles from GS-3