HGCO19-COVID 19 Vaccine Candidate | UPSC
Department of Biotechnology provides seed funding for Gennova Biopharmaceuticals Ltd.’s novel mRNA based COVID 19 Vaccine candidate-HGCO19
WHY IN NEWS:
HOT from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Health:Diseases
For PRELIMS you have to take notes on series of Vaccine Candidates in News . Start with this one and it is quite important . Funding , How it works and who are the vaccine developers can be asked in Prelims 2020 .
For MAINS nothing much here .
COVID 19 VACCINE CANDIDATE-HGCO19
Vaccine Discovery Programme supported by the Department of Biotechnology, Govt. of India under Ind CEPI, implemented by BIRAC will soon move into clinical trials
- DBT-BIRAC has facilitated the establishment of ‘first-of-its-kind’ mRNA-based vaccine manufacturing platform in India.
- DBT has provided seed funding for the development of Gennova’s novel self-amplifying mRNA-based vaccine candidate for COVID19.
EXPECTED DELIVERY OF VACCINE
The company is working aggressively to ensure first human injection by the end of the year.
- The novel mRNA vaccine candidate, HGCO19, has all arsenal to guide the host cells to make the antigen -spike protein of the virus.
- mRNA vaccine candidate is reported to interact with host cells receptor.
- The neutralizing antibody response of the vaccine in mice and non-human primates was comparable with the sera from the convalescent patients of COVID-19.
- HGCO19 uses a ‘self-replicating mRNA platform’ that ensures the low injectable dose(dose-sparing effect) and sustained antigen release for a longer duration.
- This vaccine candidate that makes use of nanotechnology has shown promise to be effective in animal models.
‘LION DELIVERY SYSTEM’
- This has adjuvanting property
- Enhanced storage stability
- Reduced adverse effects
- Improved permeability
- Gennova Biopharmaceuticals Ltd is headquartered in Pune.
- It is a biotechnology company dedicated to the research, development, production of biotherapeutics.
Diseases emanating from unknown and new pathogens require novel ideas for effective mitigation.