NHAI launches ‘Harit Path’ a mobile app .
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Roads : National Highways : Transport : Science and Technology
For PRELIMS remember this initiative for a long long time ! There are some facts associated with this issue . Go in depth ! Aim , significance and the implementation part is very important .
For MAINS can you throw some light on issue related to modern transport technologies ?
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI), a public sector undertaking under the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, has developed a mobile App called ‘Harit Path’.
- It starts creating user IDs for ROs/PDs/Experts and around 7800 plants geo-tagged so far using App.
- The vision is to plant 72 Lakh plants along NH stretches collectively with concessionaire, State Government agencies and private plantation agencies.
- It is a nation-wide plantation drive which is in line with its commitment to promote environment protection and sustainability.
- Under this initiative, NHAI planted over 25 lakh plants in 25 days along the stretches of the National Highways between 21st July to 15th August 2020.
- The drive takes the total cumulative number of plantations done during the current year to 35.22 lakh.
- The nation-wide plantation drive has been actively taken up by NHAI’s regional offices to achieve the collective target of making greener national highways.
This is followed by over 3.0 lakh in Rajasthan and 2.67 Lakh in Madhya Pradesh along the national highways.
AI POWERED ANALYTICS
- In order to ensure 100% survival of the plants, avenue plantation of minimum height of 1.5-meter have been emphasized along the national highway .
- The growth and health of the plants will be tracked .
- Photographs along with data of the plants captured using Harit Path shall be uploaded every 3 months .
- Highway contractors shall be accountable for proper upkeep and maintenance of the plantation and liable to replace the missing/dead plants.
- Performance and growth of the plants shall be linked to the payment to the contractors for this work.
- For proper supervision of plantation in each project, horticulture experts are also being engaged.
- Apart from plantation, NHAI is also emphasizing on transplantation of trees which are required to be axed for development of highway projects.
- This initiative has constantly addressed ecological concerns by adopting environment-friendly methods.
- In the year 2020, NHAI plans to undertake a sustained plantation drive.