Global Biodiversity Outlook 5 Report (GBO-5) 2020 | UPSC
Leaked UN report on biodiversity calls for 8 changes to save planet
WHY IN NEWS:
These include positive actions for forests, agriculture, food systems, climate, health, fisheries, oceans and cities
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Reports
For PRELIMS remember the publisher . CBD already has been asked in Prelims . Go through the actions missed and the report overview . Make a note in your Prelims book .
For MAINS go through suggested reading once and revise all the targets .
GLOBAL BIODIVERSITY OUTLOOK REPORT
Global Biodiversity Outlook 5 Report (GBO-5)
Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD)
- The Global Biodiversity Outlook 5 report or GBO-5 is to be released on September 15, 2020.
- This time the report is leaked out before the expected time.
- The fifth such report was expected to be launched on the sidelines of the CBD subsidiary body meetings in May 2020.
- Those events were postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Global Biodiversity Outlook is expected to provide a summary of the status of biological diversity.
- The report also benefits the use of genetic resources are shared equitably.
- The GBO-5 is an overview of the state of nature.
- The fourth GBO was released in October 2014 and provided a mid-term assessment of progress towards the implementation of the Convention on Biological Diversity’s Strategic Plan for Biodiversity.
- The second meeting of the Conference of the Parties (COP) to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) called for the preparation of a periodic report on biological diversity: the Global Biodiversity Outlook (GBO)
- 20 global biodiversity targets were included in the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity for the 2011-2020 period adopted by the 10th meeting of the Conference of the Parties of CBD.
- What the world needed was a shift from business-as-usual.
- This transformation needed to take place in all human activities that were interlinked with natural resources.
- This shift was crucial, the report added as natural resources would continue to decline and the world would not be able to meet the UN-mandated Sustainable Development Goals.
- The GBO-5 suggested eight types of shift that need to be implemented to achieve the 2050 Vision for Biodiversity.
- TRANSITION WITHIN LAND AND FORESTS: The report called the restoration of all forests that had been degraded. It also urged restoring local ecosystems.
- SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE: Farmers would have to reduce the use of chemicals and instead focus more on agroecological farming practices.
- SUSTAINABLE FOOD SYSTEMS : The report urged people to eat healthier, plant-based food and less meat.
- SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT : It also called for focussing on the problem of food wastage within the supply chain and household.
- CLIMATE ACTION: The report called for nature-based solutions to reduce climate change
- ONE HEALTH : Agricultural and urban ecosystems, as well as wildlife should be managed in an integrated manner.
Sustainable management of fisheries, oceans and freshwater as well as sustainable development of cities and infrastructure were the other areas in which the shift needed to take place.
SOURCES:DownToEarth | Global Biodiversity Outlook 5 Report (GBO-5) 2020