Exercise INDRA 2020 | 11th Edition | UPSC
The 11th edition of exercise INDRA NAVY is being undertaken in the Bay of Bengal.
WHY IN NEWS:
Shri Rajnath Singh, the Hon’ble Defence Minister of India, is on a visit to Moscow from 03 September 2020
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Defence
For PRELIMS go through aim , background and the significance of this exercise .
For MAINS just add this exercise in your Mains notes . These add ons can fetch good marks if you can remember them with the venue . Let us dive in !
EXERCISE INDRA 2020
- The 11th edition of exercise INDRA NAVY, a biennial bilateral maritime exercise between Indian Navy and Russian Navy .
- It is scheduled in the Bay of Bengal from 04 to 05 September 2020.
- Initiated in 2003, Ex INDRA NAVY epitomises the long-term strategic relationship between the two Navies.
- This exercise has matured over the years with increase in scope, complexity of operations, and level of participation.
- This also to enhance understanding and procedures for multi-faceted maritime operations.
- Due to restrictions imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic, INDRA NAVY-20 would be undertaken in a ‘non-contact, at sea only’ format.
- Sahyadri has been presently redeployed to provide assistance to MT New Diamond, which has caught fire off the coast of Sri Lanka.
- The Russian Federation Navy will be represented by destroyer Admiral Vinogradov, destroyer Admiral Tributs and fleet tanker Boris Butoma of the Pacific Fleet, based at Vladivostok.
- Exercise INDRA NAVY-20 will help to further boost mutual confidence and cooperation between the two Navies .
- Thus would reinforce the long-standing bond of friendship between the two countries.
- The exercise is aimed at enhancing interoperability, improving understanding and imbibing best practices between the two navies.
- This would involve surface and anti-aircraft drills, firing exercises, helicopter operations, seamanship evolutions etc.