Emirates Mars Mission | Hope Orbiter | UPSC
UAE’s Hope orbiter is on way to the Red Planet
WHY IN NEWS:
The Hope mission, also called the Emirates Mars Mission, was first announced in 2014 as a way to spur economic and technological development.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: SPACE
For PRELIMS it is important to understand the aim of this mission , specifications and features .
For MAINS go through the upcoming projects and write down a perfect answer on this issue today itself . Let us dive in !
UAE’S HOPE ORBITER
- The aim of the mission is to understand weather on Mars through all seasons.
- The study is focused on how atmospheric oxygen and hydrogen escape into space.
Sources : https://www.emiratesmarsmission.ae
- The mission was originally scheduled for July 14, but was postponed several times due to poor weather conditions.
- At around 3.30 am Indian Standard Time, the probe was able to successfully established radio communication with ground control on Earth.
The Mars orbiter was developed through a partnership between :
- Mohamed bin Rashid Space Centre (MBRSC), Laboratory for Atmospheric
- Space Physics at the University of Colorado-Boulder and
- Arizona State University (ASU).
HOPE HAS THREE INSTRUMENTS
- Two spectrometres and
- One exploration imager (high-resolution camera).
- While one spectrometre will determine the temperature of the planet through the next year.
- The imager will provide information on the ozone levels on the Red Planet.
- Hope orbiter will be there through one Martian year — equivalent to two years on Earth.
- The UAE Mars mission is joined by the United States and China in the coming days.
- Japan has its own Martian moon mission planned in 2024.
- The Rosalind Franklin rover, a joint effort by the European Space Agency (ESA) and the Russian Space Agency (Roscosmos), has been postponed to 2022 due to the ongoing novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
To date, only four entities have visited Mars. India,NASA, Russia and European Space Agency .If all goes well, the UAE would join that contingent.