Toll Free Helpline for elderly persons ELDERLINE (14567) becomes operational in several states
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : Social Justice
- The helpline is likely to become functional in all states by end of May, 2021.
- In order to address the problems of elders in the context of the ongoing COVID pandemic, the Ministry of Social Justice has started state wise call centres in major states under the ELDERLINE project.
SOURCES : PIB |ELDERLINE Helpline | Efforts are being made to make them functional in all States by end of May, 2021.
- These call centres can be reached by toll free number 14567.
- All elders may be advised to use this facility.
- The facility is already made operational in 5 major States of UP, MP, Rajasthan, TN and Karnataka.
- In Telangana, this facility has been working for more than a year.
The current status of the call centres is as given below:
|States||Date of commencement||Number of Officers||Number of Actionable calls||Service Request Raised||Service Request Closed|
|TN||28th April 2021||8||71||25||15|
|MP||28th April 2021||4||163||12||5|
|RJ||28th April 2021||4||25||8||3|
|KA||28th April 2021||3||122||6||1|
|UP||14th May 2021||6||94||13||7|
- The toll-free number 14567 is being cited as a critical step to reach the elderly in need during the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.