e-Gopala App | UPSC
PM to launch e-Gopala App: a comprehensive breed improvement marketplace and information portal for direct use of farmers
WHY IN NEWS:
PM to launch Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana on 10th September
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Agriculture : Fisheries : Aquaculture
For PRELIMS go through PMMSY scheme carefully . Look into the integrations this scheme has . e-Gopala App is one such example.
For MAINS what are the challenges of aquaculture and fisheries management in India ?
- Prime Minister will launch e-Gopala App.
It is a comprehensive breed improvement marketplace and information portal for direct use of farmers.
- At present no digital platform is available in the country for farmers managing livestock including buying and selling of disease free germplasm in all forms (semen, embryos, etc).
- Availability of quality breeding services (Artificial Insemination, veterinary first aid, vaccination, treatment etc) and guiding farmers for animal nutrition, treatment of animals using appropriate ayurvedic medicine/ethno veterinary medicine.
- There is no mechanism to send alerts on due date for vaccination, pregnancy diagnosis, calving etc.
- The App will also inform farmers about various government schemes and campaigns in the area.
- The e-Gopala App will provide solutions to farmers on all these aspects.
PRADHAN MANTRI MATSYA SAMPADA YOJANA
- The Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) is a flagship scheme for focused and sustainable development of fisheries sector in the country
PMMSY envisages many new interventions such as:
- Fishing vessel insurance
- Support for new/up-gradation of fishing vessels/boats
- Aquaculture in saline/alkaline areas
- Sagar Mitras
- Nucleus Breeding Centres
- Fisheries and Aquaculture start-ups
- Integrated Aqua parks
- Integrated coastal fishing
- Villages development
- Aquatic Laboratories Network and Extension Services
- Certification and Accreditation
- RAS, Biofloc & Cage Culture
- Fisheries Management Plans, etc.
- With an estimated investment of Rs. 20,050 crores for its implementation during a period of 5 years from FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25.
- The scheme will be implemented in all States/Union Territories, as a part of AatmaNirbhar Bharat Package.
- Out of this, an investment of about Rs 12340 crores is proposed for beneficiary-oriented activities in Marine, Inland fisheries and Aquaculture.
- About Rs 7710 crores investment for Fisheries Infrastructure.
KEY FOCUS AREAS
- PMMSY aims at enhancing fish production by an additional 70 lakh tonne by 2024-25.
- Doubling of incomes of fishers and fish farmers.
- Reducing post-harvest losses from 20-25% to about 10% and generation of additional 55 lakhs direct.
- PMMSY scheme primarily focuses on adopting ‘Cluster or Area based approaches’ .
- Special focus will be given for employment generation activities such as seaweed and ornamental fish cultivation.
- It emphasizes on interventions for quality brood, seed and feed, special focus on species diversification, critical infrastructure, marketing networks etc.
- Priority has been accorded for income generating activities under PMMSY.
- Prime Minister will announce the establishment of Fish Brood Bank at Sitamarhi.
- Prime Minister will also inaugurate the Comprehensive Fish Production Technology Centre at Dr. Rajendra Prasad Central Agricultural University, Pusa, Bihar.
- The Center, with facilities for Seed production technology and demonstration unit technology for fish.
- PMMSY is designed to address critical gaps in fish production and productivity, quality, technology and post-harvest infrastructure .
- It is highly focus on management, modernization and strengthening of value chain, traceability, establishing a robust fisheries management framework and fishers’ welfare.