Digital Ocean-Ocean Data Management | UPSC
Dr Harsh Vardhan launches ‘Digital Ocean’ -the first of its kind digital platform for Ocean Data Management developed by INCOIS of MoES
WHY IN NEWS:
Digital Ocean is a big step towards Digital India, will help expand ‘Blue Economy’ and promote Atmanirbhar Bharat: Dr Harsh Vardhan
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Science and Technology : Earth Science
- “Digital Ocean is a big step towards Prime Minister’s vision of Digital India ie to transform India into a digitally empowered society and knowledge economy”.
- In coming times, that nation will be powerful which has the gold mine of data and the capacity to process and interpret it meaningfully.
- The Minister of Earth Sciences, Science & Technology, and Health & Family Welfare inaugurated the web-based application “Digital Ocean” developed by INCOIS of M/o Earth sciences.
- INCOIS for having adopted & developed various State of the Art technologies, for timely dissemination of near-real time ocean information.
- The ocean is a storehouse of infinite knowledge and ‘Digital Ocean’ helps to share this knowledge about the ocean.
- Digital Ocean also provides free access to information to the general public and the common man.
- The ocean knowledge can be shared with a wide range of users including research institutions, operational agencies, strategic users, academic community, maritime industry and policy makers.
- It will play a central role in sustainable management of our oceans and expanding our ‘Blue Economy’ initiatives.
- The Digital Ocean will be promoted as a platform for capacity building on Ocean Data Management for all Indian Ocean Rim countries.
- Digital Ocean is the result of the need felt to organize data from various sources and to provide quality data management.
- Digital Ocean will help improve our understanding of working of oceans.
- Digital Ocean is a new state of the art data platform and is the first such platform to provide ocean data related services at one place.
STATE OF ART TECHNOLOGY
Advisory Services includes:
- Potential Fishing Zone (PFZ) advisories
- Ocean State Forecast (OSF)
- High Wave Alerts
- Tsunami early warnings
- Storm Surge and Oil-Spill advisories, etc.
- It includes a set of applications developed to organize and present heterogeneous oceanographic data by adopting rapid advancements in geospatial technology.
- It facilitates an online interactive web-based environment for data integration, 3D and 4D (3D inspace with time animation) data visualization.
- Data fusion and multi-format download of disparate data from multiple sources viz.,
- In-situ, remote sensing and model data, all of which is rendered on a geo referenced 3D Ocean.
User Management component of Digital Ocean allows :
- Authentication of users and their roles and privileges of access to different data sets
- Categorization of data as per the data sharing guidelines.
- Metadata management
- Mail management
- Usage statistics
- System statistics
- Monitoring of observing platforms
- Addition of new data streams, etc.
- Digital Ocean will serve as a one stop-solution for all the data related needs of a wide range of users.
- It will contribute to our vision of Aatma Nirbhar Bharat.
SOURCES: PIB | Digital Ocean-Ocean Data Management | UPSC