Daring Cities Conference 2020 | UPSC
CM highlights efforts to tackle climate change
WHY IN NEWS:
At global meet, he explains govt.’s plans
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Climate Change : Summits : Conferences
For PRELIMS it is important to understand the aim and objective of this conference . Do a little more research on the organisers too . Links are given at the end .
For MAINS how does local leadership impact the climate change on day to day basis ? Do you think
DARING CITIES 2020
- The climate emergency is happening right now, in our cities, towns and regions around the world.
- Our global leaders are struggling to address this urgent crisis.
- But the daring actions of local leaders are spreading around the globe.
- The decision makers include –technical staff, researchers, private sector representatives, and community organizers .
- Daring Cities showcases and catalyzes exemplary local climate action to tackle the climate emergency, including ambitious resilience-building and climate mitigation efforts.
- To disrupt business-as-usual and shift towards business-as-possible.
- Due to the global Coronavirus pandemic, Daring Cities, initially planned as an in-person forum in Bonn, Germany, has been transformed into a virtual event.
- 7-28 October 2020 (events and online offerings will occur over the three-week period)
Created by ICLEI and the Federal City of Bonn
THE RESILIENT CITIES CONGRESS
- Daring Cities builds upon the experience and network established during the Resilient Cities Congresses .
- It is convened annually from 2010 to 2019 by ICLEI and the Federal City of Bonn.
- It built an active, informed, and committed community and played a key role in mainstreaming urban resilience in global agreements and processes.
- In last 10 years of the Congress, Over 80 countries actively participated in and collaborated on hundreds of capacity-building sessions.
- The Daring Cities 2020 global virtual forum will be a three-week event comprising of high level and visionary speakers.
- A series of informative workshops and networking opportunities in a variety of virtual formats will be organized.
- The virtual format will accommodate different topics, time zones, internet bandwidth limits, and languages.
Daring Cities 2020 will be structured in three parts:
- KNOW : Presenting the most cutting-edge research and information on climate change and its impact on cities, including health.
- ACT : Showcasing exemplary local climate action from around the world in addressing the climate emergency, from adaptive and resilience-building measures .
- LEAD : Facilitating action-oriented discussions with key global partners, including the UNFCCC and COP Presidencies.
- ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability is a global network of more than 1,750 local and regional governments committed to sustainable urban development.
- Active in 100+ countries, It influence sustainability policy and drive local action for low emission.
- We bring sustainability to a rapidly developing urban world.
THE ICLEI NETWORK
- ICLEI creates connections among the local, regional, national and global governmental levels.
- ICLEI forges strategic alliances with international organizations, national governments, academic and financial institutions, civil society and the private sector.
- The low emission development pathway curbs climate change, creates new economic opportunities and improves the health of human and natural systems.
- This underpins key aspects of local economies and the well-being and resilience of our communities.
SOURCES:THE HINDU | Daring Cities Conference 2020 | UPSC