BIS-Care Mobile App | UPSC
Shri Ram Vilas Paswan launches BIS Mobile App ‘BIS-Care’ and Standardization, Conformity Assessment and Training Portals of e-BIS
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 2 : 3 : 4 : Consumer rights : Role of Consumer
For PRELIMS do you remember a question appeared in the last Prelims on QCI (Quality council of India ) .
Yes ! That motivated us to write this article too. Hope this will serve the purpose . Look out for aim and features of this app .
For MAINS do you think one app integrated with AI is better than different applications for several purpose ?
MOBILE APP ‘BIS-CARE’
Union Minister for Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution Shri Ram Vilas Paswan today launched the Bureau of Indian Standard’s Mobile App ‘BIS-Care
- Considering the fact that mobile phones have become an easy mode to access internet and communicate.
- A mobile app based on Android platform has been developed, which would provide the same facilities accessible through mobile phone.
- Consumers can check the authenticity of the ISI-marked and hallmarked products .
- App also allows users to lodge complaints using this app.
- The mobile app BIS-Care can be operated on any Android phone.
- The Android based mobile application provides Complaint Management System.
- The user is required to enter his name and mobile number with an option to provide his email-id as well.
- The user can use the app after an initial identity verification done through a One Time Password.
CONSUMER CAN LODGE COMPLAINTS REGARDING ISSUES
- Quality of Product.
- Quality of Services.
- Misleading Advertisements.
- Other issues regarding any ISI marked product.
- This app is operational in Hindi and English language and can be downloaded free from Google play store.
- BIS is strengthening its capacity of enforcement by implementation of e-BIS, an integrated portal covering all its functions.
- This will enable BIS market surveillance and development of mobile app-based and AI-enabled surveillance methods.
- BIS is playing important role in the formulation of Quality Control Orders to make the standards mandatory.
- Every e-commerce entity is required to establish a grievance redressal mechanism.
- The entity has to appoint a grievance officer, whose name, designation, contact details are required to be displayed on its platform.
- The e-commerce entities are to ensure that the grievance officer acknowledges the receipt of any consumer complaint within forty-eight hours .
- The entity must redresses the complaint within one month from the date of receipt of the complaint.
- The violation of the rules will be dealt with under the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act, 2019.
- In case of class action regarding unfair trade practice and misleading advertisements, the Central Consumer Protection Authority can take action.
- For any compensation, a consumer can approach a Consumer Commission of appropriate jurisdiction.
BIS IS INVOLVED IN VARIOUS ACTIVITIES
- Standards Formulation
- Product Certification Scheme
- Compulsory Registration Scheme
- Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme
- Hall Marking Scheme
- Laboratory Services
- Laboratory Recognition Scheme
- Sale of Indian Standards
- Consumer Affairs Activities
- Promotional Activities
- Training Services, National & International level
- Information Services
- Consumers can lodge their grievances, preferably with supporting evidence, against ISI marked / BIS certified products or services rendered to them by BIS.
- To achieve the objectives of Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan and protect the interests of consumers, BIS has formulated standards in the areas important for boosting our exports .