Autistic Pride Day 2020 | UPSC
Autistic Pride Day 2020 dedicated to neurodiversity, celebrating differences
WHY IN NEWS:
Autistic Pride Day, celebrated every year on June 18, spreads the message that people with autism do not have a disease.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Health:Diseases:Disorders
For PRELIMS do not confuse this with World Autism Day . It is different .
For MAINS we hope you remember the characters of the movie BARFI ! Well this article will remind you
- Autistic Pride Day is celebrated every year on June 18.
- The day assumes significance for those who are autistic because it serves as a reminder that they are as much a part of society as other people.
- Its manifestations are impairment in social interaction, communication, restricted interests and repetitive behaviour.
- Early recognition, as well as behavioural, educational and family therapies may reduce symptoms and support development and learning.
- The cause for autism is not yet known.
- Studies, so far, suggest autism is likely caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors.
- It is true children do not outgrow autism.
- It may not be possible to overcome all the impairments of the faculties of a human being caused by autism.
TIMELY INTERVENTION :
- INTERVENTION : “The timely intervention covers behavioural therapy, speech therapy, social skills training, yoga and meditation therapy, ayurvedic treatment, sensory integration therapy, learning through computers and alternative mode to develop communication skills,”
- SENSITISATION : Proper sensitisation and orientation of therapists / instructors who work with those who have autism is very important.
- AWARENESS : Creating awareness among parents over the issues of autism and the method of dealing with these issues assumes a lot of significance.
- Parents and society in general should understand hidden talents and strengths of those with autism as they are gifted.
- More organisations and schools should help autistic children develop social, behavioural and language skills according to their specific needs.
The day itself brings individual autism organizations together all around the world to aid in things like research, diagnoses, treatment, and acceptance for those with a developmental path affected by autism.
“Autism Pride Day is important because it helps people recognise the plus side of having the condition,”.
SOURCES:DOWNTOEARTH | Autistic Pride Day 2020 | UPSC
DISCOVER MORE : UN Celebrations