Atal Tunnel | UPSC
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi to inaugurate the Atal Tunnel
WHY IN NEWS:
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi shall inaugurate Atal Tunnel, Rohtang at 10 AM on 3rd October 2020.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Infrastructure
For PRELIMS this issue must be solved with a pen and map . Valleys , Passes and Ranges . Just mark and revise them thrice before you go to bed .
For MAINS prepare such topics by include such projects in your answers with proper examples. Let us dive in !
SOURCES : INDIA TIMES
- It is 9.02 Km long tunnel which connects Manali to Lahaul-Spiti valley throughout the year.
- Earlier the valley was cut off for about 6 months each year owing to heavy snowfall.
- It is at an altitude of 3000 Mtrs (10,000 Feet) from the Mean Sea Level (MSL).
- The tunnel reduces the road distance by 46 Kms between Manali and Leh and the time by about 4 to 5 hours.
- The South Portal (SP) of Atal Tunnel is located at a distance of 25 Km from Manali at an altitude of 3060 Mtrs.
- While the North Portal (NP) of the tunnel is located near village Teling, Sissu, in Lahaul Valley at an altitude of 3071 Mtrs.
- It has the state of the art electromechanical system including semi transverse ventilation system.
- It has SCADA controlled firefighting, illumination and monitoring system.
- It has an overhead clearance of 5.525 Mtrs.
- It is 10.5-metre wide and has a 3.6 x 2.25 Mtrs fire proof emergency egress tunnel built into the main tunnel itself.
- Atal Tunnel has been designed for traffic density of 3000 cars per day and 1500 trucks per day with max speed of 80 km/hr.
The Tunnel has ample safety features built into it.
(a) Tunnel entry barriers at both portals.
(b) Telephone connections at every 150 Mtrs for emergency communication.
(c) Fire hydrant mechanisms at every 60 Mtrs.
(d) Auto incident detection system with CCTV cameras at every 250 Mtrs.
(e) Air quality monitoring at every 1 Km.
(f) Evacuation lighting / exit signs at every 25 Mtrs.
(g) Broadcasting system throughout the tunnel.
(h) Fire rated Dampers at every 50 Mtrs.
(i) Cameras at every 60 Mtrs.
- The historic decision to construct a strategic tunnel below the Rohtang Pass was taken on June 03, 2000 when late Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee was the Prime Minister.
- This included the most difficult stretch of the 587-metre Seri Nalah Fault Zone.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB | Atal Tunnel | UPSC