Table of Contents Hide
Akash-NG Missile | UPSC
Successful Maiden Test Launch of Akash-NG Missile
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Defence
AKASH-NG (NEW GENERATION) MISSILE
- DRDO conducted the successful maiden launch of Akash-NG (New Generation) Missile from Integrated Test Range off the coast of Odisha on 25 January 2021.
- The missile intercepted the target with text book precision.
- The launch met all the test objectives by performing high maneuvers during the trajectory.
- It will also increase the overall range from current 40 km to greater than 80 km.
- The performance of the Command and Control system, onboard avionics and aerodynamic configuration of the missile was successfully validated during the trial.
- During the test launch, entire flight path of the missile was monitored and the flight data was captured by various Range instruments such as Radar, EOTS and Telemetry systems .
- The Multi Function Radar was tested for its capability of integration with the system.
- The Akash-NG system has been developed with better deployability compared to other similar systems with canisterized launcher and much smaller ground system footprint.
- The development of the Akash-NG (Next Generation) was approved in September 2016 with a funding of ₹470 crore.
- Akash-NG will have an improved reaction time and higher level of protection against saturation attacks.
- The Akash New Generation missile system can target aircraft up to 50-60 km away, at altitudes up to 18,000 m.
- It has the capability to neutralize aerial targets like fighter jets, cruise missiles and air-to-surface missiles as well as ballistic missiles.
- It is in operational service with the Indian Army and the Indian Air Force.