Agri India Hackathon 2021 | UPSC
Virtual Agri-hackathon Atmanirbhar Krishi inaugurated
WHY IN NEWS:
To make Agriculture profitable and attract youth towards agriculture are challenges of the Agri-hackathon: Shri Narendra Singh Tomar
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Agriculture
AGRI INDIA HACKATHON: BUILDING SMART INDIA WITH SELF-RELIANT AGRICULTURE
- Virtual Agri-hackathon 2020 is organised by the Department of Agriculture and Cooperation and Farmers’ Welfare in association with IARI, Pusa, New Delhi.
- Agri India Hackathon is the largest virtual gathering to create dialogues and accelerate innovations.
- INNOVATIVE APPROACH : From the biggest names to the most exciting startups,from learning, innovating to pitching, Agri India Hackathon will unfold incredible things in a never-before virtual experience.
- CREATE : Agri India Hackathon will be a digital pool of the most exciting, innovative, and futuristic ideas to address the pressing issues with new-age technology.
- CONNECT : Not just startups, students & youth, but even the giants from the industry, the world’s leading companies, financial institutions & policy-makers — everyone will be here!
- COLLABORATE : And the best part — each one is building solutions, asking big questions, and learning.
- The 2-month long event is the first of its kind & the largest virtual event in the history of Indian agriculture.
- It will bring together the most important stakeholders from industry & government alongside India’s young bright minds.
- Also it will collaborate creative startups and smart innovators who will build new, fast and frugal solutions to tackle the big questions we’re facing today.
- With the launch, the application of the hackathon was made live on MyGov.in and will remain open till 20 January, 2021.
- Agri India Hackathon is the largest virtual gathering to create dialogues, and accelerate innovations in agriculture.
- It will help us achieve our dream of doubling the farmer’s income which in turn will create many growth opportunities for the entire country.
- Agri India Hackathon seeks to create an impact in 5 interconnected areas to provide a roadmap for the future.
MECHANIZATION OF FARMING & ALLIED ACTIVITIES
- Mechanized puddling, seeding, transplanting, weeding, harvesting of field and plantation crops
- Mechanization of hilly agriculture, horticulture, protected cultivation, apiary, livestock, poultry, and fishery
- Gender friendly small farm mechanization including powered multifunctional equipment
- Add on, cost-effective technologies for enhancing the efficiency of existing agro-machineries.
PRECISION AGRICULTURE INCLUDING APPLICATIONS OF SENSORS, WSN, ICT, ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, IOT & DRONE
- Monitoring & management of water quality, soil fertility, and health, crop growth and health (pest and diseases, macro & micro-nutrients, water)
- Variable Rate Technology (VRT) & Robotics
- Precision livestock farming and aquaculture
- Data analytics and digital extension including market intelligence
SUPPLY CHAIN & AGRICULTURE LOGISTICS
- Blockchain technology for traceability of agri-produce from Farm to Fork
- Cost-effective sensor-based real-time monitoring & management of storage and transport system
- IT-based agriculture logistics including custom hiring services
POST-HARVEST, FOOD TECHNOLOGY & VALUE ADDITION
- Development of devices for assessing quality, grading & sorting, processing of agri-produce
- Development of biodegradable and smart packaging materials
- Environment-friendly cost-effective mobile technologies at the farm gate for processing and value addition
- Manufacturing of functional, ethnic, alternate plant-based food and consumer products
WASTE TO WEALTH & GREEN ENERGY IN AGRICULTURE
- Solar-powered technologies for farm operations and post-harvest drying and storage
- Ex-situ and in-situ management of agri-residues
- Innovative products from agro-residues
- Indian nationals only.
- Students studying at any Indian university/ institute.
- Start-ups, farmers, and professionals/ employed individuals.
- Solo founders, entrepreneurs, and other individuals.
- The hackathon will happen in 3 elimination rounds.
- 24 best innovations from different focus areas will be awarded a cash prize of INR 1,00,000 each.
- Along with this winners will have an opportunity of field trial and access to technology validation.
- Agriculture is the backbone of our country and plans are afoot to strengthen this backbone with youth engagement, employment generation, technology & digitization.
- The most important stakeholders, India’s young bright minds, creative startups, and smart innovators will build new, fast, and frugal solutions.
- Agri India Hackathon to be held online invites collaboration & participation from across the country and intersectional industries.
SOURCES: PIB | Agri India Hackathon 2021 | UPSC