Advisory for exotic live species in India | UPSC
Government issues advisory to streamline the process for import and possession of exotic live species in India.
WHY IN NEWS:
Hot from PIB !
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Exotic species : Conservation of Biodiversity : Flora and fauna
For PRELIMS look out for the factual merit data in this issue like the current status , definition of exotic animals and also the time stamp in the advisory .
For MAINS find the reasons why still exotic species are not covered under WLPA 1972 ?
EXOTIC SPECIES :
- Exotic live species are animal or plant species moved from their original range (location) to a new one.
- These species are introduced to a new location most often by people.
- Many citizen of the country have kept CITES (Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species)enlisted exotic animal species in their possession .
- The registration will be done for the stock of animals, new progeny, as well as for import and exchange.
- Holders of such species have to visit the website (www.parivesh.nic.in)and fill up the requisite forms in order to complete the stock registration process.
- For any declaration made after 6 months, the declarer shall be required to comply with the documentation requirement under the extant laws and regulations.
WHY WE NEED DATA ON EXOTIC SPECIES ?
- This will help in better management of the species and guide the holders about proper veterinary care, housing and other aspects of well-being of the species.
- The database of exotic animals will help in control and management of zoonotic diseases .
- Timely guidance would be available from time to time to ensure safety of animals and humans.
SOURCES:PIB | Advisory for Exotic live Species in India | UPSC
DISCOVER MORE : Important GS-3 Articles