National Education Day 2020 | UPSC
Union Minister of Education virtually inaugurates the National Education Day programme organised by IIT Bombay
WHY IN NEWS:
Union Minister of Education Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ today virtually inaugurated the National Education Day(RashtriyaShikshaDiwas) programme as the Chief Guest.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1: 3 : History : Education
For PRELIMS go through contributions and the personality.
For MAINS look back in history and his political career . We have given a glimpse here but its right time to open SPECTRUM-RAJIV AHIR. Let us dive in !
SOURCES : WIKI COMMONS
NATIONAL EDUCATION DAY 2020
- The birth anniversary of MaulanaAbulKalam Azad on 11 November is celebrated as the National Education Day.
- It is celebrated on the birthday of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, the first Education Minister of India.
- Various campaigns and programs are organized on this day to spread awareness about education .
- Maulana Abul Kalam was born on November 11, 1888.
- Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) had decided on September 11, 2008, to celebrate November 11 as National Education Day every year.
- Schools will observe National Education Day by organising seminars, symposia, essay writing competitions etc.
- The importance of education and the Nation’s commitment to all aspects of education will be showcased on 11th November, 2019.
FIRST EDUCATION MINISTER OF INDIA
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad established the University Grants Commission (UGC) after India’s independence.
- Azad used to write poems in Urdu. People also know him as a warrior with a pen.
- He established higher educational institutions and worked for free education in the country.
MAULANA ABUL KALAM AZAD
- His complete name was – Maulana Sayyid Abul Kalam Ghulam Muhiyuddin Ahmed bin Khairuddin Al-Hussaini Azad.
- Initially, his father was his teacher but later he was educated at home by the famous teacher in his area.
- He learned the English language, history of the world and politics by studying himself.
- He met two of Bengal’s leading revolutionaries Arvind Ghosh and Shri Shyam Sundar Chakraborty .
- He joined the revolutionary movement against British rule.
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad set up secret revolutionary centres throughout North India and Bombay within two years.
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad was elected as a member of foundation committee to establish Jamia Milia Islamia at Aligarh.
- In 1912, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad started a weekly Urdu newspaper called ‘Al-Hilal‘ to increase the feeling of patriotism among Muslims.
- Maulana Abul Kalam Azad served the country from 1947 to 1958 as the First Minister of Education in Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru’s cabinet.
- He died due to a heart attack on 22 February 1958.
- He emphasized educating the rural poor and girls.
- He also promoted adult literacy, universal primary education.
- He supported girls’ education, and diversification of secondary education and vocational training.
- He was awarded the Bharat Ratna in 1992 for his contribution as a freedom fighter and educationist.
MAULANA ABUL KALAM AND EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS
- Abul Kalam Azad established University Grants Commission (UGC) on 28 December 1953.
- The modern-day IITs were the brainchild of Mulana Abul Kalam.
- Azad considered schools as laboratories which produce future citizens of the country and, therefore, emphasised on quality education.
- He assisted in shifting the campus of the university from Aligarh to New Delhi in 1934.
- Maulana Azad was instrumental in setting up the Central Institute of Education, Delhi.(Education department DU )
We must not for a moment forget, it is a birth right of every individual to receive at least the basic education without which he cannot fully discharge his duties as a citizen-Maulana Azad
SOURCES: PIB | National Education Day 2020 | UPSC
DISCOVER MORE : GS-1