74th Infantry Day Celebrations 2020 | UPSC
Infantry day celebrated
WHY IN NEWS:
74th Infantry Day Celebrations on 27 October 2020
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : 3 : Awards : Defence
For PRELIMS go through the timeline of history during 1947 . Note the Infantry men’s contribution and aim of this event.
For MAINS revise Operation Vijay and Operation Meghdoot today itself . Let us dive in !
74TH INFANTRY DAY CELEBRATIONS 2020
- Infantry Day to commemorate the contributions of Infantry, the largest fighting arm of the Indian Army was celebrated on 27 October 2020.
- Operations in 1947 bear a testament to the perseverance of the Infantrymen as it was entirely an Infantry centric operation.
- Infantry is the back bone of Indian Army and its soldier bear the main brunt in any battle.
- The aim of the event is to honour the supreme sacrifice of the Infantry in fighting the Pakistani raiders in Jammu and Kashmir in 1947
- The event acknowledges the tremendous contribution of Infantry in maintaining the sanctity of the nation’s borders.
- October 27 is celebrated as Infantry Day by the Indian Army.
- Kashmir was invaded by the tribals who were supported by Pakistan Army.
- This action was ordered after Maharaja Hari Singh signed the instrument of accession, acceding Jammu and Kashmir to India.
- This day has a unique significance for Infantry, as it was on this day in 1947 that Infantrymen from Indian Army became the first troops to land at Srinagar airport.
- In an act which turned back the invaders from the outskirts of Srinagar and saved the state of Jammu and Kashmir from a Pakistan backed tribal invasion.
- As part of the Infantry Day celebrations, a ‘Wreath Laying’ ceremony was held at National War Memorial to honour the martyrs of the Infantry.
- Three decorated veterans of Operation Vijay and Operation Meghdoot also laid wreaths on behalf of veterans of Infantry.
- Indian Army rededicate themselves to the core value of bravery, sacrifice, selfless devotion to duty and professionalism.
- Infantrymen from Indian Army remained indomitable in their resolve to defend the integrity and sovereignty of the country.
SOURCES: PIB | 74th Infantry Day Celebrations 2020 | UPSC