4th India Agricultural Outlook Forum 2020 | UPSC
Two-day ‘4th India Agricultural Outlook Forum 2020’ webinar inaugurated
WHY IN NEWS:
- Union Minister of State for Agriculture Shri Parshottam Rupala congratulates farmers and other stakeholders for their commitment to the agriculture sector.
- This year agricultural sector recorded 3.4% growth during the first quarter of 2020-21.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Agriculture
For PRELIMS note down the implementation and factual data you find in this article .
For MAINS keep an eye on key areas , issues and the topics of deliberations. Let us dive in !
INDIA AGRICULTURAL OUTLOOK FORUM 2020
- Agriculture sector has emerged as the star performer in India’s pandemic-hit economy.
- The efforts of the Ministry of Agriculture are commendable for organizing the ‘4th Indian Agricultural Outlook Forum 2020’ at this crucial time.
The Government’s main objective is to strengthen all activities and services in agriculture
- Horticulture and allied sectors through creation and development of agriculture infrastructure
- Micro food enterprises
- Medicinal and herbal plants
- Bee keeping.
The focus was mainly on:
- Farm revenue and sustainability
- Role of innovative technology
- Use of big data in agriculture
- Strengthening of crop estimation systems.
- Universal Basic Income for Farmers.
- Current national and international agricultural economic situation dictated by the pandemic
- Game-changer farm sector initiatives
- Decoding agri-tech potential
- Exploring new channels for rationalising cost structure of Govt. procurement agencies
- Capacity building for employment opportunities.
- The forum is being virtually attended by the officials from centre and state governments
- National and international agriculture research institutes
- Chief Economist USDA
- Delegation from foreign embassies
- International organisations like FAO, EU and OECD
- Scientists from ICAR, representatives from agro-Industries, business and farmers associations.
- The 1st Agricultural Outlook Forum was organized in August 2017 .
- It was in collaboration with the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
- Also , the forum deliberates on Global Agriculture Outlook prepared by Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
The other major issues addressed in the Forum include:
- Regulatory issues in agriculture,
- Need for innovative farm technology and management
- Challenges in water management and agricultural insurance,
- Crop residue management
- Agricultural trade, etc.
- The Forum has over time emerged as an important platform for having updates on global and national agricultural outlook.
- The forum has been developing more dynamic agricultural policy regime through sharing of experiences and best practices.
- A great outlook for agriculture sector for the current agricultural year with record sowing level and focus on pulses and oilseeds.
- Experts from various countries and International Organizations actively participated in the deliberations of the Forum.
- The forum would deliberate on major agricultural reforms initiated by the Government of India for better managing farm sector to ensure growth with stability and equity.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB | 4th India Agricultural Outlook Forum 2020 | UPSC