Current Affairs News Analysis | Prelims & Mains 2020 | 3rd July 2020
“Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting.” –Anonymous
Dust pollution vs Infant Mortality
Dust pollution in Sub-Saharan Africa raised infant mortality: Study
WHY IN NEWS:
Air pollution due to dust from the Sahara desert led to a significant increase in infant mortality rate in Sub-Saharan Africa.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Health:Diseases
For PRELIMS please take a map and mark out the regions mentioned below .
For MAINS take down the adverse effects of Air pollution on Infant Mortality rate.
- Bodele Depression located at the southern edge of the Sahara Desert in north central Africa, is the lowest point in Chad.
- Poor air quality was associated with adverse health outcomes in children.
- Emissions from Bodele contributed greatly to annual average particulate matter 2.5 concentrations across much of Africa.
- Children under five are particularly vulnerable to the tiny particles in air pollution that can have a range of negative health impacts, including lower birth weight and impaired growth in the first year of life.
- The concentration of dust particulate matter across Sub-Saharan Africa is highly dependent on the amount of rainfall in the Bodele Depression.
- Dampening sand using groundwater in the Bodele region can stop the dust from rising and polluting the air.
Solar-powered irrigation systems can help prevent 37,000 infant deaths per year in West Africa.
The report attributed changing climate as the reason behind natural sources of air pollution.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB | Current Affairs News Analysis | Prelims & Mains 2020
MoD approves 33 new fighter jets
MoD approves 33 new fighter jets in deals worth ₹38,900 cr.
WHY IN NEWS:
Modi and Putin hold telephonic conversation
The approvals come a week after Mr. Singh’s visit to Moscow for the Victory Day Parade.
The other deals include Pinaka ammunition, armoured vehicle BMP armament upgrades and Software Defined Radio for the Army, Long Range Land Attack Missile Systems of over 1,000 km range and Astra Beyond Visual Range air-to-air missiles for the Navy and the IAF, all of which will be procured domestically and worth an estimated ₹31,130 crore.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB/DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS for UPSC CSE Prelims & Mains