2nd National Water Awards | UPSC
2nd National Water Awards
WHY IN NEWS:
Second National Water Awards to be conferred on 11th and 12th November to commend efforts of those working in the field of water resources conservation and management
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : Awards
For PRELIMS skim through the categories and note down aim and approach of this award.
For MAINS can you name a few water conservation methods used throughout the Globe ?
NATIONAL WATER AWARDS
- Water is one of the vital components of life.
- The rapid pace of irrigation growth, urbanization & industrialization has put enormous stress on water resources.
- Moreover, the climate change has resulted in change in hydrologic cycle in the country.
- Hence, it is necessary that this scarce resource is protected by effective and efficient management on sound scientific methodology for its sustainable development.
- Ministry of Jal Shakti
- Department of Water Resources
- River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation
- The awards are given to motivate the individuals/organizations who are doing commendable work in the field of water resources conservation and management.
- The event is an occasion for all people and organisations to further cement a strong partnership in water resources conservation and management activities.
- The NWAs focuses on the good work and efforts made by individual and organisations across the country, and the government’s vision for the path to a ‘JalSamridh Bharat’.
- The event also presents an opportunity to discuss on how to further accelerate the ‘Jal Shakti Abhiyan’ in India.
- Rainwater harvesting and artificial recharge
- Promoting water use efficiency
- Recycling & re-use of water
- Creating awareness through people’s participation in the targeted areas
- Adequate capacity building amongst the stakeholders etc.
- At the district level, the entries could be submitted on three important themes of Ground Water Recharge, Revival of River and Rejuvenation/Creation of Water Bodies like lakes/ponds etc.
The entries for National Water Awards are invited in 13 categories which are as follows. –
- Best State
- Best District
- Best Village Panchayat
- Best Municipal Corporation
- Best research/innovation/adaptation of new technology for water conservation
- Best educative/mass awareness efforts
- Best TV show for promoting water conservation
- Best Newspaper
- Best School
- Best Institution for successful campus water usage
- Best Resident Welfare Association (RWA)
- Organizations for Best Religious/Recreational & Tourism Water Uses and
- Best Industry for industrial water conservation.
- Cash prize of Rs. 2 lakh, Rs. 1.5 lakh and Rs. 1 lakh for Ist, IInd and IIIrd prize winners respectively will be given for all remaining 11 categories.
- Apart from this Best State and Best District awards will be given seperately.
- The Ground Water Augmentation Awards and National Water Award were launched in the year 2007 with an objective to encourage all stakeholder .
- This including the NGOs, Gram Panchayats, ULB’s, Water User Associations, Institutions, Corporate Sector, Individuals etc. for adopting innovative practices of ground water augmentation .
- Since Ground water has become integral part of the water cycle, last year unified National Water Awards were given for holistic approach towards water resources management in the country.
- National Water Awards 2018 was organised last financial year and winners were felicitated with awards/citations on 25th February, 2019 .
- 2nd National Water Awards 2019 was launched by the Department of Water Resources on 1st September, 2019 .
- This was to recognise the efforts of people/organisations working in this field throughout the country across various categories to cover maximum area possible.
- National Water Awardees, delegates and the audience will be joining LIVE through virtual platform.
- The complete event and award distribution is planned on the virtual platform.
SOURCES: PIB | 2nd National Water Awards 2020 | UPSC