Current Affairs News Analysis | Prelims & Mains 2020 | 28th June 2020
“When you stop chasing the wrong things, you give the right things a chance to catch you.” –Lolly Daskal
South America witnessed extreme lightning strikes in 2018, 2019: WMO
WHY IN NEWS:
While a strike in Brazil travelled the longest distance, one in Argentina lasted for the longest duration recorded till now
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Disaster management
For PRELIMS well nothing to mind much here . We have included this issue because more than hundred lives were lost in a similar incident yesterday – Bihar.
For MAINS this incident should let you know all do’s and don’ts with respect to LIGHTNING EVENTS.
- The country has the highest incidence of lightning in the world — an average of 77.8 million strikes per year.
- The distance travelled by the lightning strike was the same as the distance between Boston and Washington, DC in the United States !
- The Argentine flash of lightning took place over the northern part of the country on March 4, 2019.
- “They are defined as horizontal mesoscale lightning discharges that reach hundreds of kilometres in length,”
LIGHTNING STRIKES IN INDIA
The WMO’s findings come even as 92 people were killed in lightning strikes in Bihar on June 25, 2020.
- NUMBER OF FATALITY : The state is second after Uttar Pradesh with the maximum number of deaths due to lightning.
- INCREASING INCIDENTS : The number of lightning days across India have been increasing significantly every month, according to the report of the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
- In fact, lightning strikes kill more people in India than any other extreme weather event.
- IMD FORECAST : Such fatalities could be avoided if states share IMD’s forecast on lightning with people on time.
- STAY INDOORS : If the time between a lightning flash and thunder is less than 30 seconds, people should stay indoors and wait 30 minutes after the last observed flash to resume outdoor activities- WMO.
- WIDTH : Lightning strike can make them appear as thick bolts across the sky, the actual width of a lightning bolt is only about 2-3 cm.
- HEIGHT : The average length of a lightning bolt is about 2-3 miles.
- BENEFICIAL FOR TRESS : extreme heat of a lightning strike causes nitrogen to bond with oxygen to create nitrogen oxides which combine with moisture in the air to fall as rain and water plants with nitrate-rich water.
- SPEED : While the flashes we see as a result of a lightning strike travel at the speed of light (670,000,000 mph) an actual lightning strike travels at a comparatively gentile 270,000 mph.
- Many trees can often be destroyed by lightning strikes.
- When lightning hits a tree, it usually travels just below the tree’s bark where there is a layer of sap and water.
QUICK GUIDE ON LIGHTNING
- Do not touch any metal object .
- Staying inside car or house are safe .
- Standing below a tree is like inviting high voltage.
- Switch off any equipment at house which can conduct electricity.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB/DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS for UPSC CSE Prelims & Mains
8 States account for over 85% active COVID-19 cases
8 States account for over 85% active COVID-19 cases in India
WHY IN NEWS:
87% deaths too occurred in these States; 15 Central teams deployed to help them
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Health:Diseases
- The national dashboard for COVID-19 was launched on April 1.
- Empowered Group disposed of 93.84% of the 77,307 grievances received by the Central Ministries and 63.11% of the 53,130 grievances pertaining to the State governments.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB | Current Affairs News Analysis | Prelims & Mains 2020