Table of Contents Hide
1st India Internet Governance Forum 2021 | UPSC
India to host the first Internet Governance Forum in the country
WHY IN NEWS:
The Forum will act as the platform for various stakeholders to discuss public policy issues related to the Internet
1st INDIA INTERNET GOVERNANCE FORUM 2021
- Cognizant of the fact that any Internet governance approach should be inclusive and responsive, the WSIS mandated the Secretary-General of the United Nations to convene the Global Internet Governance Forum (IGF) for multistakeholder policy dialogue.
- It facilitates common understandings and knowledge exchange of how to maximize Internet opportunities and address risks and challenges.
- It contributes to capacity building, allowing these stakeholders to build knowledge and skills that will facilitate their participation in existing Internet governance institutions and arrangements.
- Ultimately the involvement of all stakeholders, from developed as well as developing countries, from governments to international organisations, from the private sector to the civil society, is necessary for advancing dynamic public policies in Internet governance.
- India is the second-largest broadband subscription country in the world and also has the highest data consumption per user per month.
- The IGF has over the years identified a wide range of key issues to be addressed by the international community and has shaped policy decisions related to the Internet and technologies throughout the world.
- IGF gatherings discuss proposed responses including regulatory frameworks, potential risks, global trends, as well as best and worst practices that have been adopted or are currently under discussion.
- Participants also examine the impact of treaties, recommendations and other documents adopted in various international venues within the Internet governance ecosystem.
SOURCES : PIB
The Internet Governance Forum (IGF) Secretariat – based in Geneva, is sustained financially through the extra-budgetary Trust Fund Account managed by United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA).
- It’s an Internet Governance policy discussion platform to bring representatives together from various groups, considering all at par to discuss public policy issues related to the Internet.
- This mode of engagement is referred to as the multi-stakeholder model of Internet Governance, which has been the key feature for the Internet’s success.
- Therefore, the aspirations of the Indians should be reflected in International policy formation and stakeholder discussion.
- Starting from August 2021, multiple Pre-IIGF engagement events will be held at several colleges and universities, as a precursor to the IIGF Inaugural event.
- The idea behind this is to engage the youth and students for their participation in the October event and prepare the next generation to be part if policy formation.
- India Internet Governance Forum is the correct initiative for the country to ensure that the growth of broadband adheres to the lifestyle and requirements of the Indian community.
- IIGF 2021 is adopting the multi-stakeholder concept in organizing the event as per the true spirit of global IGF.
- The coordination committee has apt representation from civil society, Government, Industry, Industrial association, trust, and other stakeholders.