1st Aug Daily Current Affairs Analysis for UPSC |Prelims & Mains 2020
“You must expect great things of yourself before you can do them.” –Michael Jordan
‘Spear phishing’ was used in Twitter hack
WHY IN NEWS:
The hackers who accessed dozens of high-profile Twitter accounts in mid-July gained access to the system with an attack.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3:Cybersecurity
- Although often intended to steal data for malicious purposes, cybercriminals may also intend to install malware on a targeted user’s computer.
HOW IT WORKS
- An email arrives, apparently from a trustworthy source, but instead it leads the unknowing recipient to a bogus website full of malware.
- These emails often use clever tactics to get victims attention.
- Cybercriminals do the same with the intention to resell confidential data to governments and private companies.
- These cybercriminals employ individually designed approaches and social engineering techniques to effectively personalize messages and websites.
- As a result, even high-ranking targets within organizations, like top executives, can find themselves opening emails they thought were safe.
- That slip-up enables cybercriminals to steal the data they need in order to attack their networks.
- To fight spear phishing scams, employees/individuals need to be aware of the threats, such as the possibility of bogus emails landing in their inbox.
- Besides education, technology that focuses on email security is necessary.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB | Current Affairs News Analysis | Prelims & Mains 2020
Empowerment of Tribals through IT enabled Scholarship Schemes
M/o Tribal Affairs receives SKOCH Gold Award for its “Empowerment of Tribals through IT enabled Scholarship Schemes”
WHY IN NEWS:
Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) has received SKOCH Gold Award for its “Empowerment of Tribals through IT enabled Scholarship Schemes” project of Scholarship Divison of the Ministry.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 1 : Awards
MoTA chose to participate in DIGITAL INDIA & E-GOVERNANCE – 2020 Competition and the awards were announced yesterday i.e. on 30th July, 2020.
- The project is implemented by IIPA flag-bearers of schemes of Government of India meant for welfare for STs.
- This project is a step towards achieving unwavering commitment of Government of India towards realizing the dreams of Digital India .
- This will bring transparency as well as ease in the delivery of services.
- To assimilate with the larger vision of ‘Digital India’ and to realize the cherished goal of e-governance, MoTA has integrated all 5 Scholarship Schemes with DBT Portal under the guidance of DBT Mission.
- The portal provides facility to States for data sharing through Web services and States can up-load proposal, UCs and SOE online.
- This has considerably reduced scholarship release time taken.
- Portal is also integrated with Digi-Locker developed by MeiTY so that documents are directly fetched and saves verification time.
- The portal has facility to upload documents which are not on Digi-Locker.
MoTA has also entered into CEDA (Centre for Data Analytics), which analyzes and prepares State Wise Data Analysis Reports, which helps in data based planning.
SOURCES:THE HINDU & PIB | 1st Aug Daily Current Affairs Analysis for UPSC | Prelims & Mains 2020
AatmaNirbhar Bharat Logo Design Contest
‘AatmaNirbhar Bharat Logo Design Contest’ to be conducted by MyGov to Encourage the Spirit of Innovation & Self-Reliance
WHY IN NEWS:
the ‘AatmaNirbhar Bharat Logo Design Contest’ held on MyGov.in.
SYLLABUS COVERED: GS 3: Digital India
- The last date of submission of entries is 5th August2020 till 11.45 PM.
- The winning logo will be awarded a cash prize of Rs. 25,000/-.
- MyGov is a citizen engagement platform launched by PM Narendra Modi to promote the active participation of Indian citizens in the Nation’s governance and development.
- MyGov has crowdsourced many logos of various departments and initiatives like Swachh Bharat, DekhoApnaDesh, Lokpal and many more.
India has demonstrated how it rises up to challenges and uncovers opportunities therein, as manifested in the re-purposing of various automobile sector industries to collaborate in the making of life-saving ventilators.